Thanks very much to the judges on the Statesman staff and to those who supported my nomination.
It is truly an honor to be recognized in such a constantly-changing space and with so many other fine people.
From the paper’s article about the Awards:
“In the year since the awards were first held, social media sites increasingly have become a part of daily life. ‘We’ve gone from people who were early adopters and having fun with the technology to people using it for business and nonprofits in ways I’ve never even thought of before,’ says American-Statesman social media editor Robert Quigley.”
I sincerely hope that my work in the social Web is helpful to the tourism and travel communities.
Take a gander at the list of awardees to appreciate the variety of folks, and allow me to give a special shout-out to a few of them….
- Michelle Greer – last year’s overall winner and one of this year’s judges. A tireless advocate of using tech for worthy causes and an expert on cloud computing with Rackspace.
- Jennifer Navarrete – A good friend and occasional business colleague, Jennifer is the driving force behind much of San Antonio’s tech scene, plus she’s a dynamite podcaster at (among other shows) Tech in Twenty.
- Dara Quackenbush – Dara is a PR professor at Texas State, and I love watching how she brings her students into modern PR, done right. Here’s her class blog where they practice what they learn.
- Jenn Dearing Davis and Hayes Davis – They tweet and tell us about good deals, on CheapTweet. They appreciate all of us on a budget. They are super-nice. Drawbacks = none.
- Mando Rayo – He investigates the local taco scene, then blogs about it on Taco Journalism. He told me that my best local taco joint is Juarez Mexican Bakery, and when Mando tells me where to go, I go. I eat. I’m happy.
- Hugh MacLeod – He draws quirky cartoons at Gaping Void. He does marketing for a South African winery from his location in Alpine, Texas; hey, it’s the Web so it makes sense to me.
I’m thrilled to be in such company, and thanks again for your support.